There are different ways to work with Briefboards, and with time you and your team will find the process that best suits you.
If you haven't read our 'Touring Briefboards' article, we recommend that you do this before moving ahead.
Working with Briefboards
WATCH quick video tutorial.
READ steps below:
Once you are in your Workspace, follow the steps below to get started. The most important thing to do first, is to Set up a Project. Once this is done, everything else is managed from within that project.
Follow these 4 steps:
- Set up your project
- Create your first review cycle within this project (this will generate the Board you and the team will then use to leave feedback)
- Connect the Board to your course
- Publish your course to activate Board. Then share with others
So let's go through these steps one by one.
Step 1: Set up your project
- Click on 'Projects' Tab
- Click 'New Project' blue button.
- Name your project, and click 'Save'.
Now that you have a Project, set up your first review cycle.
Step 2: Set up your First Review Cycle
- Click the + New Cycle button
- In pop up form simply name your cycle and select the authoring tool you are using to create the course that will be reviewed. Don't touch anything else on the screen. Leave everything else active. Click 'Save'.
Once you save, you will see a Review Cycle area appear and within this area, a 'Review cycle' Button. The button will reflect the name you assigned the cycle when creating it.
This cycle will automatically have a blank Board associated to it and the creator of the cycle (that is you) will also be linked to this Board as a Reviewer.
Step 3: Connect the Board to your course
Now, you've set up a project, set up your first review cycle and have a Board available to review. The next step is to connect that Board to your course content. This is done through the 'Snippet'.
- Click the newly created cycle button
- Select Snippet tab and click on 'Copy to clipboard'.
When you paste the code in your course, you have automatically linked your course content to the project, the Review Cycle and the Board you've just set up.
When you now publish your course, upload and open it, you will see the Board in it.
Step 4: Publish your course
Briefboards needs to be published as HTML5 to work. It will not work if published in Flash.
Tip: If you have published your course and Briefboards doesn't appear, check whether your LMS doesn't publish in FLash by default.
Launching your course
Once the Briefboards' snippet is connected to your course, publish the course to your LMS or cloud server (make sure to make the output public).
You will need to open the course once, for the link to activate.
Launching your content from the Dashboard
Once you have published and opened your course for the first time, you will see a new 'Launch Course' button appear in your Review Cycle section of your project.
From here you can open your content and review the course.
Finally: Invite other reviewers to your project
Once you have Briefboards connected to your course, you can invite others to review.
There are two ways to do this depending on whether your collaborators are new to Briefboards, or have already signed up and contributed to past projects (i.e. are already 'Members').
For New People
Who have never been part of Briefboards before and are NOT on the Member's list.
- Go to PEOPLE TAB on your Dashboard.
- Click 'Invite People'. Add email and role. In this invitation, you can already associate them to the Project and the Review cycle you have just created.
- Click 'Send'.
Once your collaborator has accepted your invitation and signed up, they will be taken to their own Dashboard and will be able to see the Project they were invited to review.
They will also be added to the 'Members' list.
For 'Members' (past collaborators)
People who accept your invitation and signed up to Briefboards will appear on your 'Members' list. Once a member, people can be regular collaborators simply by linking them to Projects. They don't have to be invited anymore.
You can see who is a Member by going to People tab/ Members. When a person is a member, all you have to do is 'Associate' them to the Review cycle you want them to collaborate on.
How to Associate:
- Open your Project and find the Review Cycle you are working on.
- Click 'Reviewer' tab (within the cycle)
- FInd their name on the list and click 'Associate'. The moment you do this the person will be linked, and will have visibility of your course, in their Collaborator Dashboard.
Next time a person opens their Dashboards, they will see this project on their list. They can click on it, and launch content to start reviewing.
Tip: Reviewers can also access content through the course link. Once they click on link content will open with Briefboards on the side. They can sign in straight from the Board.
Projects, Review cycles, Boards and Collaborators (how do they all come together?)
Below is the basic way in which Briefboards operates and links Projects, Review Cycles, Boards and Collaborators.